Monday, February 22, 2010

New, smaller PDF Reader

Adobe products, even the free Adobe Reader, are getting attacked pretty heavily these days and experts say it's likely to continue. The security patches are coming out much too frequently for my piece of mind. So what's a great solution if your church needs a free PDF reader? Nuance PDF Reader.

Nuance now offers the free PDF Reader. It's much smaller, fast, and full of features. I have been waiting for this to come out, as my favorite PDF editing software is from Nuance also -- PDF Converter Professional. I've been testing PDF Reader ever since it was announced a few days ago. Last night I removed Adobe Reader from my computer.

Keep your church office and personal computer safer -- remove Adobe Reader and use Nuance PDF Reader instead.

PDF Converter Professional -- Acrobat replacement
Nuance was originally called ScanSoft. They are well-known for the industry-leading OminPage OCR software and for the PaperPort software  that comes with some scanners. They also produce the Dragon NaturallySpeaking speech recognition software. I first learned about Nuance when researching a replacement for Adobe Acrobat for work. I am very enthusiastic about the quality and features of Nuance PDF Converter Professional. Their conversion from PDF back to an Office type file such as MS Word, is exceptionally good.

I recommend replacing Adobe Acrobat if not for the security considerations as well as pricing. My replacement is PDF Converter Professional from Nuance.

The Nuance folks tell me that Microsoft hired them to provide the file-to-PDF converter for Microsoft Office ... you may notice a "printer" called "DocuCom" or "DocuCom PDF driver" -- that's done by Nuance.  Out of that PDF Converter program grew PDF Converter Professional, a full-blown, powerful PDF editor as well as converter.

PDF Converter Professional is much less expensive that Adobe Acrobat and has the features that businesses and churches need. Why pay the outrageous amount Adobe asks for Acrobat? Even with a church discount through the UMC TechShop, Acrobat is twice as expensive as PDF Converter Professional.

No comments: